05 Jun Specialist in Special Care Dentistry
Posted at 00:00h in
Special Care Dentist required to help shape the future of Cornwall’s special care dentistry in this community-based role. This is an exciting opportunity to apply your specialist dental knowledge in a fantastic setting, within brand new, purpose built and patient led facilities, providing comprehensive oral care for vulnerable adults and children with complex dental needs, and for those requiring treatment with sedation and GA.
You’ll be working with a highly motivated team in the staff owned venture, working from a new purpose-built special care facility, as well as delivering a range of treatments in local secondary care centres.
The new dental facility has been specifically designed and developed in consultation with local special care patient groups and NHS England, includes the only bariatric chair in the region, a wheel chair facility, consulting, recovery and treatment rooms, and a ‘Changing Places’ toilet for our patients. Specialist access has been created for accessibility for the largest of wheelchairs as well as dedicated quiet entry and waiting areas for patients who benefit from a noiseless and comfortable setting.
Role Summary – the post holder will:
- Lead the Special Care Dentistry Provision within our clients community owned facilities which also include general dental care and out of hours services
- Provide comprehensive Special Care dentistry to vulnerable children and adults who are unable to access general dental practice due to complex physical, medical, mental, behavioural, social, emotional, intellectual, sensory impairment or disability
- Treat referred patients, providing treatment with general anaesthesia and sedation as deemed necessary for adults and children
- Bring an outstanding community approach to our new purpose-built special care facility, as well as delivering a range of treatments in local secondary care centres, thus ensuring continuity of care in the best interests of our client’s patients
- Work in collaboration with other dental health professionals, and health care and social care professionals
- Actively engage with our client’s teams and participate in audit activities, development and in-house meetings etc
- Provide mentoring and training for other members of the clinical team
- Represent our client on the local Special Care MCN and other external bodies
- Be responsible for further developing relationships with the regional acute hospital departments, Peninsula Dental School (and other schools) and other local dental providers
- Participate in appropriate community dental and oral health promotion activities
- At all times work towards our Vision and Mission and within the core values
- Undertake other reasonable duties as requested by the Clinical Director and Management Team
- Managing patients within the current 18-week regulations, where appropriate
- Maintaining and developing your clinical competency and continuing professional/personal development according to agreed training needs via our client’s Training Academy
- Developing and implementing training pathways for Community Role dentists and other members of your clinical team
- Working alongside clinical and professional support colleagues in facilitating on-going organisational change and development, embracing our vision, mission and values
- Working in a number of clinics within East, Mid and West Cornwall
If you are looking for a fresh challenge – delivering Special Care Dentistry to patients with complex needs in patient centric facilities, please enquire for further information.
A comprehensive salary and benefits package is available – including full relocation assistance.