12 Feb Service Lead and Specialist in Special Care Dentistry
Posted at 00:00h in
Want to have a genuine impact in the community? You couldn’t be in better company in a more beautiful county. Help us shape the future of Cornwall’s special care dentistry in this community-based role. This is an exciting opportunity to apply your specialist dental knowledge and skill to lead our client’s Special Care and Community team in providing comprehensive oral care for vulnerable adults and children with complex dental needs, and for those requiring treatment with sedation and GA.
You will bring an outstanding community approach to our client’s new purpose-built special care facility, as well as delivering a range of treatments in local secondary care centres, thus ensuring continuity of care in the best interests of our patients. As a service lead you will sit on the local Special Care MCN and other external bodies and be responsible for further developing relationships with the regional acute hospital departments, Peninsula Dental and other Schools, and other local dental providers.
Our client is a committed and friendly team that puts our people and patients first. Their new dental facility, which has been specifically designed and developed in consultation with our special care patient groups and NHS England, includes the only bariatric chair in Cornwall, a wheel chair facility, consulting, recovery and treatment rooms, and a ‘Changing Places’ toilet for our patients.
Role Summary – the post holder will:
- Lead the Special Care and Community Team comprising dentists, therapists and nurses
- Provide comprehensive Special Care dentistry to vulnerable children and adults who are unable to access general dental practice due to complex physical, medical, mental, behavioural, social, emotional, intellectual, sensory impairment or disability
- Treat referred patients, providing treatment with general anaesthesia and sedation as deemed necessary for adults and children
- Bring an outstanding community approach to our new purpose-built special care facility, as well as delivering a range of treatments in local secondary care centres, thus ensuring continuity of care in the best interests of our client’s patients
- Work in collaboration with other dental health professionals, and health care and social care professionals
- Actively engage with our client’s teams and participate in audit activities, development and in-house meetings etc
- Be the Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults and Children Lead
- Be the Controlled Drugs Lead
- Be responsible for safe working and practice on a day-to-day basis in sites of clinical activity, ensuring compliance with clinical governance and legislation, appropriate health, safety and security procedures within the work area, and report accidents, incidents and near misses using the incident reporting procedure
- Participate in the Quality Committee
- Provide mentoring and training for other members of the clinical team
- Represent our client on the local Special Care MCN and other external bodies
- Be responsible for further developing relationships with the regional acute hospital departments, Peninsula Dental School (and other schools) and other local dental providers
- Participate in appropriate community dental and oral health promotion activities
- At all times work towards our Vision and Mission and within the core values
- Undertake other reasonable duties as requested by the Clinical Director and Management Team
- Managing patients within the current 18-week regulations, where appropriate
- Maintaining and developing your clinical competency and continuing professional/personal development according to agreed training needs via our client’s Training Academy
- Developing and implementing training pathways for Community Role dentists and other members of your clinical team
- Working alongside clinical and professional support colleagues in facilitating on-going organisational change and development, embracing our vision, mission and values
- Working in a number of clinics within East, Mid and West Cornwall
This post requires Occupational Health clearances, DBS clearance and two satisfactory references prior to start date, with all interview and appointment expenses covered including travel and DBS check.
Please apply for further details.